What is Academic Coaching?
Academic Coaching is a interactive process that focuses on the personal relationship created between the student and the coach. The coach challenges the student to think about his or her personal and/or professional goals in order to relate them to his or her academic/educational goals. In this learning process, it is important for the coach to encourage the student to become more self-aware by understanding his or her strengths, interests, purpose, and passion. National Academic Advising Association (NACADA)
Who should benefit?
Academic Coaching is for students seeking additional academic support, a mentoring relationship, or help utilizing resources and securing academic goals. Students at any level that are devoted to improving their study habits should consider academic coaching.
How to schedule an appointment
At this time, we can only offer Academic Coaching to those advised by University College Exploratory Studies and Academic Advising Services. Let your advisor know if you are interested in setting up an appointment with an Academic Coach.
Academic Coaching provides organizational assistance and educational strategies designed specifically to help students improve their academic performance. Through weekly meetings, students are offered continual support to improve their overall academic standing and evaluating their strengths, study habits and goals.
Topics discussed will include but are not limited to the following:
- Time Management: Manage procrastination by setting achievable goals and schedules
- Effective Note Taking: Learn the best way to take and organize notes for your learning style
- Study Skills: Go beyond memorization by using deep learning methods
- Test Anxiety: Reduce stress and test anxiety by taking control of your learning
- Effective Resource Utilization: Find resources for supporting your short and long term goals
- Test Preparation: Demonstrate knowledge by improving your test-taking strategies
Study Skills Resources
Video and web resources focusing on study skills, time management, motivation and learning styles.