Placement Information

An important step in helping students succeed includes enrolling in classes appropriate to a student’s current level of knowledge. Therefore, all new students who wish to enroll into chemistry, math, foreign language and English are required to complete some placement testing. These test/assessments are for placement purposes only and inform appropriate course selection and sequencing of subsequent courses.  Some Tips:  PLEASE TAKE THESE TESTS SERIOUSLY. They are not to be rushed through. Make sure you are in a quiet space and have adequate time to read through the instructions thoroughly and complete the test without rushing. Click here to learn more about Placement Testing.


The chemistry placement exam (CPE) is a tool and process used to help place students into a general chemistry course appropriate for their background.  The CPE is mandatory for all students planning or required to take CH 101 (​Chemistry: A Molecular Science​)​. If you contemplate a major or degree program requiring CH 101 or if you think you may wish to change majors or degree programs to one that requires CH 101, you should take the CPE. Students with sufficient chemistry background that pass the CPE will satisfy the required prerequisite to enroll in CH101. Those students for whom additional work is indicated have the options to satisfy the prerequisite for enrolling in CH 101 by taking and passing ​CH 111 (Preparatory Chemistry) ​with a C- or better, or electing to complete satisfactorily a series of online modules and subsequent evaluative examination.

​For more information, and to identify whether or not you need to take the Chemistry Placement test, refer to Chemistry Placement.


Successful completion of freshman year mathematics is one of the best early indicators of graduation from NC State.  Admitted freshmen are required to take a test to determine proper placement in math.  One option is to take the SAT Math Level Two Subject Test (not the math portion of the SAT) prior to attending orientation and have your scores reported electronically to NC State (code #5496).  Alternatively, you may take the NC State Placement Test on line.  For more information, refer to Math Placement.

*Please Note: if you place into MA 101, you will be encouraged to take it over the summer in Summer Session II.

Foreign Language

All students at NC State must demonstrate competency at the Elementary II level in a foreign language (FL* 102) as a requirement for graduation.  Students who do not meet the proficiency requirement as determined by a review of the student’s high school record by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions – two years of high school study of the same language with a grade of ‘C’ or better in each of the two years – must take a placement test.  Students enrolling in programs in which the Intermediate I level (FL* 201) is required (College of Humanities & Social Sciences or Poole College of Management​), or students in other programs who wish to take a foreign language, must also take a placement test.​ These tests will be taken during orientation.

For more information, refer to Foreign Language Placement.

English Portfolio

ENG 101 (Academic Writing & Research)​ is a required course for graduation and is typically taken during the first year in college. Students who earned a “4” on the Advanced Placement English Language & Composition exam will be awarded ENG 100 (Introduction to Academic Writing) credit. Students who earned a “5” on the exam, will earned ENG 101 credit.​ Students who have earned a score ​of ​“​5-7​” on the International Baccalaureate (IB) English ​A1/A2  exam ​may also be awarded ENG 101 credit after review by the First Year Writing Program​. ​

For more information, refer to the First Year Writing Placement website.

AP and IB Placement

AP and IB courses are good indicators that students have undertaken the most rigorous classes your high school has to offer, challenged themselves with college-level course work and expectations, and have refined their skills to meet these expectations. Most universities offer college credit for qualifying AP and IB Exam scores. By making it through an AP or IB course and scoring successfully on the related AP or IB Exam, students can save on college expenses.  Students can review specific guidelines on accepting AP and IB scores for credit and placement by searching the following links.

Advanced Placement (AP) Information

International Baccalaureate (IB) Information

Transfer Course Equivalencies

If you have taken college courses you will want to see if/how your credits will transfer:  Transfer Course Equivalencies


Career Connections, Saturday, March 17.

Career Connections will be held on Saturday and is a mandatory event for all students in USC 102.  You will have the opportunity to hear from professionals in various career fields.  Details will be provided …read more.

Career Connections-Information for Parents

It is almost time for our annual Career Connections Event! In concert with the individualized advising in Exploratory Studies, our ultimate goal is to help students make careful and informed decisions regarding their academic and …read more.

Majors & Minors Fair!

The annual Majors & Minors Fair will be held on Wednesday, February 21, in 126 Witherspoon from 3-5pm.  Come and meet with representatives from all Colleges at NC State.