Expectation for New Student Orientation
Prior to Orientation
It is important that you complete the pre-NSO Advising Survey sent to you via email and appropriate placement tests before coming to NSO. The pre-NSO Advising Survey asks you about majors you may be considering, and information on AP or other credits you have earned or have in progress.
Math and Chemistry Placement tests are available online, and must be completed prior to attending Orientation.
We recommend that all students take the on-line NC State Math Placement test, even if you are currently in AP calculus. You cannot register in math class unless we have placement information (AP scores, SAT II Subject Test, transfer credits, or a score on the NC State online Math Placement test). AP scores may not arrive prior to NSO, so by having your NC State Math Placement test score, you can still register in a math course during NSO. Once your AP scores are posted, you can, with the guidance of your advisor, adjust your schedule.
If you are interested in a science, technology, engineering, or pre-health field, you should also complete the NC State online Chemistry Placement Exam prior to NSO.
Be sure to review all of the information on the NSO website, including the new student checklist.
- Learn about the NC State Community and Exploratory Studies (formerly First Year College)
- Meet students, faculty, and staff
- Work with your advisor to prepare your schedule for the fall semester
- If you have any questions about your schedule or the Summer Reading assignment please contact your academic advisor.
- Stay informed by following us on Twitter and Facebook!